headlogo

The Google Graveyard

Poster: STANCOBRIDGE | Date: 1:29pm, 17th Oct 2017. | Views: 82 | 1 Replies
Page 1 of 1
STANCOBRIDGE. Jalingo, Taraba
1:29pm, 17th Oct 2017.

Google Reader Google Buzz

Even if Google has good reasons today for maintaining Google Fonts, it doesn’t mean it won’t go away in the future. The beloved Google Reader service was shut down last year and there have even been rumors of Google+ being on the chopping block. Other axed Google products include Google Bookmarks, Google Health, Orkut, iGoogle, Google Buzz, Knol and Google Wave.

Goodbye Google Reader and Google Buzz
I doubt anyone misses Google Buzz but Google Reader was much loved.

Also a few weeks back, Google completely removed authorship photos from search results with little warning. If you search for something CSS related you’ll no longer see Chris Coyier’s face. And if you search for something web typography related you’ll no longer see my face. This was a little annoying for me because it was a hassle to implement the authorship photo and removing it hurt my click through rates for Typewolf.

All of this shows that Google has no problem pulling the rug out from underneath people using their products. If something doesn’t fall in line with their business objectives, it can be killed off at any time. Yes, their products are free (for the most part) which is great, but the fact that they can disappear at any time is a little disconcerting.

Page 1 of 1
Write A Comment

Attachment: (jpg, gif, png)

Comment Box is loading comments...